Friday, March 2, 2012

The Street Market - a Cultural Experience

Farmer's markets in Greece are weekly events. Every Monday for example, a street is closed for traffic and it is there where farmers bring and sell their products. I'm using the term  "farmer" as a general one because as you can find anything from cloths to fruits and back to sleepers you can also find people from Russia, Ukraine, China, Thailand or Nigeria.

The market itself is a mix of cultures, languages and products from all over the world. It's a nice, colorful and very noisy place:)


Sometimes when I buy things, I don't know if it's because I'm a foreigner or because I'm a woman, they tend to give me more than I asked for the same price or give me an extra products, just to "win" me as a customer.  So, yeah, what they say it's true, Greeks were born to make commerce.

As always, there must be a back side of the coin. There are also traders who will try to take advantage of you, not because you are foreign, money have no nationality, but because they can.


The fish market is a drop of pure chaos. The first time I went there I couldn't understand why was everyone yelling. Later, when I started to understand what they were saying it all started to make sense...kind of. 

Promoting their products is essential. The fish market starts at 7 and ends at 12 at the latest. The fish and sea food are all fresh but they won't be for long if the sun starts heating them. So selling fish in the market is a race against time. Here is a short demo of the market today:)

No comments:

Post a Comment